Web Application Architect and Developer with a passion for helping businesses make sense of web-based technology and its numerous applications.
I am a self-taught programmer with a skill set enhanced by over 10 years of real-world experience building large-scale, high-performance web applications. Wholly proficient in all aspects of web design and development from frontend/backend programming to deployment and administration.
I'm passionate about development processes, coding standards, product development, and open source technology. I enjoy working with Agile processes (especially iterative, test-driven development) but am not attached to any single methodology or tool. I focus on working effectively with others and getting things done.
I am in a continual process of learning, experimenting, and growing my craft. As someone who cares deeply about doing amazing work -- I have developed a love for clean, standards-compliant, well-tested, well patterned, code.
Take a look at a few of my favorite projects I’ve started or been a part of during the course of my career.
Created the initial version of the Bronto Extension for Magento accompanied by a PHP SDK for interacting with the Bronto SOAP API.
Mobile App for iOS and Android built with PhoneGap/Cordova and Sencha Touch.
Responsive Magento build utilizing Twitter Bootstrap and many custom extensions.
Symfony2 powered nomination and voting application for contest promotion.
Laravel backend with HubSpot marketing automation integration.
Responsive front end build for embedding on NASCAR.com.
Created the initial version of the Bronto Extension for Magento accompanied with a PHP SDK for interacting with the Bronto SOAP API in a more friendly ActiveRecord style. The most notable features included: Order Import with Conversion Tracking, RFM (Recency, Frequency, Monetary Value) Metrics, Abandoned Cart Reminders, Transactional Emails, Contact Import and Newsletter Opt-In Support.Launch
Provided support and maintenance; as well as NASCAR season updates for Hendrick Motorsports' hybrid mobile app built using a combination of PhoneGap/Apache Cordova and Sencha Touch. Developed new features, handled upgrade requirements, and managed the submission/approval process for both the App Store and Google Play.Launch
Lead and executed the complete e-commerce platform development; from the Magento backend - to the Bootstrap frontend. Utilized Composer for Magento extension and PHP library dependency management; which resulted in a significant number of contributions back to the Magento open-source community.Launch
Provided direction and oversight; in addition to hands-on development of the overall scope for the Laravel platform and third-party integrations. Personal developmental responsibilities included: geolocation/geo-targeting functionality, HubSpot marketing automation integration (forms, landing pages, newsletter), localization (l10n) and internationalization (i18n) preparation.Launch
Explore my professional history and get to know the companies I worked at and the roles and responsibilities I've been assigned.
● Employed latest of available technologies and libraries; Laravel 5.x, PHP7, AngularJS, Vue.js, and Twitter Bootstrap v4
● Participated in new product design and development.
● Test-driven approach to development using PHPUnit and Mockery.
● Created and executed automated software test plans, cases and scripts to uncover, identify and document software problems and their causes.
● Leveraged responsive web frameworks to consistently complete product deliverables ahead of schedule.
Lead development teams in the creation of cutting edge, PHP-based digital platforms. Developed technical strategies for multiple, concurrent client projects. Created unique user experiences that drove interaction.
● Hands-on back-end development with a broad range of technologies and frameworks; including CodeIgniter, Kohana, Symfony2, Laravel, Magento and WordPress.
● Mobile First, responsive frontend development utilizing Sass, LESS, Grunt, Gulp.js, Yeoman, Twitter Bootstrap, Zurb Foundation, and jQuery.
● Participated in sales presentations in a technical sales capacity.
Promoted internally from Sr. Back End Developer position. Recommended architectural improvements, design and integration solutions. Maintained keen awareness of issues affecting performance, scalability, maintainability, or security.
● Utilized a cutting-edge stack of development tools including: Symfony2, MongoDB, Redis, ElasticSearch, and Node.js
● Assessed costs and risks associated with developing new features and products.
● Identified and suggested new technologies and tools for enhancing product value and increasing team productivity.
● Streamlined the deployment process by utilizing continuous integration tools.
Worked directly with Bronto clients identifying and implementing integrations and automations within e-commerce applications. Had a direct impact on the design and implementation of solutions that facilitated the building of strong relationships between Bronto and its clients.
● Proactively developed innovative solutions that were proven to be scalable and repeatable.
● Submitted open-source contributions to the Symfony2 project; which were later accepted.
● Created internal object-oriented ActiveRecord-inspired PHP SDK for interacting with the Bronto SOAP API; code was later open-sourced for client use.
Led complex software development for a broad range of functions including invoice management systems, e-commerce, and sales systems.
● Worked with development resources to produce project plans, estimation and work breakdown for agile development.
● Responsible for the creation, maintenance and delivery of new Magento development including integrations, extensions and custom modules.
● Implemented bug tracking and source control systems.
Provided PHP/MySQL development for the main Chess.com site and its sister site, ChessKid. Additional responsibilities included user experience testing, feature wire framing, and funnel analysis.
● Advisement on tech issues related to architecture, mobile development, API integration, and analytics.
● Responded to user needs by spec'ing, designing, building, testing, and deploying new features.
● Deployed code to 15 webservers, 4 databases, 4 memcached servers, and Akamai/Amazon CDN’s.
● Increased sign-up rate by 15% by implementing A/B testing to help improve user experience and ROI.
Hands-on development for multiple sites handling over 3 million visits and 700k uniques daily. Gained extensive experience while assisting in the architecture and development of a custom MVC framework that was utilized in most projects.
● Assisted in the management and configuration of Linux servers (Fedora) for source control systems, project management tools, and website deployment.
● Implemented MogileFS distributed file system to provide high scalability for all static files.
● Used Gearman queue server to stop various labor intensive tasks from “blocking” page loads.
● Used Zend Server and Zend Framework to implement full page caching on multiple high traffic sites.
Determined appropriate technology to be utilized on per project basis with an emphasis on open source. Responsible for managing the workload of contractors and keeping frequent status updates.
● Implemented source control, bug tracking, and project management software to streamline the development lifecycle.
● Handled all Windows and Linux (Gentoo, CentOS) server/database administration tasks and configuration.
● Rebuilt legacy reporting system using PHP5 and the Zend Framework within a four week timeframe.
● Lead of ‘web mining’ project which “spidered” (using Perl / LWP) internet resources for database building purposes.
● Unified data from various internal and external sources by creating a custom SOAP web service (API).
● Combined the codebases for 120+ individual websites into a single instance using PHP and the Zend Framework.
● Increased traffic by roughly 20% using various proven SEO techniques and backlink building; sites gained between 1-2 PR.
Responsible for data analysis and Unix troubleshooting for development needs.
● Received Spirit recognition for “improving a customer/client/associate experience by taking initiative, thinking a problem through, and executing; resulting in a much improved product.”
● Gained experience migrating data between Access, SQL Server 2005, and Oracle 9i databases utilizing Perl and PL/SQL procedures over SQL*Loader.
Hear what some of my clients and colleagues have to say about me after working together on various projects throughout my career.
Chris is a master programmer and an awesome guy to work with. His ability to problem solve and troubleshoot is nothing short of astonishing, and his patience is peerless. Chris is always willing to help and I hope I have the opportunity to work with him again down the road. Your search ends with this guy!
I have been repeatedly impressed with Chris' ability to come up with unique solutions to complex problems. Chris stays on top of new trends in web development to the point that he's my go-to person when I have a question about PHP.
Chris is a very knowledgable and reliable colleague. He is always up-to-date with technology and best practices, and brought his experience to the table when it was needed the most. I have also enjoyed running into Chris at local user groups, and seeing his passion for his craft grow.
It is always refreshing to meet developers who constantly break the mold and are looking for new ways to develop. Chris is one of these guys who is able to pick up new technologies and is constantly refining his methods. He has a great attitude and a proven track record of delivering rapid, quality results with a great personality and attitude.
Get in touch with me if you would like to do business together, share an idea or just say hello.